Monday, February 13, 2012

Digital World

Blank screen with a cursor waiting
to give my thoughts life.
Not on paper but on a screen
that shows a representation of those ideas.

The words are produced
by code that enables the computer
to interpret the tapping of my keys.
These words aren't really here.

They aren't like words written on paper
for words on paper can't be unwritten.
Even if you try to erase pencil
there is always the remnants of what was once there.

However if I wanted to I could delete the files
that hold the digital representation of my thoughts.
With just a few clicks I could wipe away all trace
 of what I wrote.

If I was well adept with computer code
I could make sure any erroneous bits of my work
that might have been saved on another
part of my hard drive (or elsewhere)
was gone without a trace.

Indeed, this digital world is transient-
easily erasable and easily changed.
Now if I wanted to, if I was skilled enough;
I could disappear without a trace.

Just by knowing how to change code
and hack into health networks.

Everything is transitioning to the digital realm;
the question is-
are we prepared to lose ourselves amid the code?

No comments:

Post a Comment